Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Freshman Survival Guide

As a sophomore college student, I'd like to think that I am an expert on freshman awkwardness and struggles.  Fear not youngins,  I will bestow my great knowledge onto you so you can be half the snazzy freshman I was.

1.  live on campus with someone you can trust
I managed to accomplish half of this task but it was not enough.  I chose to live in an off campus apartment with my older sister, Taylor.  Don't get me wrong, I am SO thankful that I was able to live in such a nice place my freshman year but it definitely did damper my social life. It is very hard to meet people when you do not live on campus.  I felt very secluded and alone.

2.  get involved
I know everyone says this but it is so true.  No matter what your interests are, there is a club or organization on campus that you will love.  Go to campus events no matter how "lame" they might     sound.

3.  be yourself
Yes, another very cliche thing to say but really think about this one.  College is your time to figure out who you, what you want to do, and how you want to live your life.  It is the first time that you are on your own.  You are in charge of you.  You do what YOU want to do.  With that being said, don't try to be someone you're not.

4.  don't look like a freshman
You can tell you is a freshman and you isn't by watching body language and apparel.  The "freshman look" is a lanyard, backpack (overstuffed), free t shirt, and your id firmly attached to your body.  Freshman boys travel in packs and girls travel in twos.  Freshman are perpetually nervous and walking very fast.  Put your shoulders back, and put a swing in your step.  You will instantly feel more at home.  Guaranteed.

5.  follow up with plans
Don't let plans fall through.  Dinner dates, tailgates, movie nights, coffee runs, do it.  Don't cancel because you don't feel like wearing pants.  Put on your big girl pants and go get you some grub. You are going to regret not going.  I promise.  Any chance that you have to be social and have fun, jump on it and enjoy it.



No comments:

Post a Comment